Recipe courtesy of Monique Sourinho
- 3 large sweet onions (2lbs)
- 4 cups Lima beans or any large soft beans (cooked)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp hot paprika
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3-6 tbsp oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Your favorite Chabaso ciabatta
- Caramelize onions for 30 minutes over medium heat with oil and bay leaf.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Add smoked paprika and garlic to onion, then cook and stir for an additional minute.
- Add the stock and beans, gently fold the ingredients to incorporate but keep the beans intact.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 2-3 hours, depending on rate of evaporation, until it caramelizes on top.
- When finished allow to cool and refrigerate over night. When ready, reheat and share. Serve with toasted ciabatta slices. Enjoy!
- Do not over-salt.
- Cook the onions and be patient; you want the flavor to develop and caramelize. They sweeten as they turn translucent.
- The smoked paprika is to replace the okey flavors that meat would otherwise provide in a more traditional recipe.
- Unlike American baked beans, the sweetness comes from the onions versus added sugar.
- Be patient with the development of the beans. When the flavors sit it tastes even better!